I am a lawyer with expertise in Canadian pension and benefits honed by over 20 years in the consulting industry. At Watson Wyatt (now Towers Watson) I was Director of the Canadian Research & Information Centre, responsible for a number of activities including writing and producing company publications.
Upon leaving Watson Wyatt in 2005, I was appointed editor in chief of Employee Benefit News Canada. The print magazine appeared 6x/year and electronic newsletters were published weekly. In addition, we ran web conferences and initiated a highly successful industry conference. I resigned from that position in April 2009, and the publication was sold to Benefits Canada (Rogers Communications) later in the year.
From May 2009-May 2010, I provided consulting service to the Humber College Centre for Employee Benefits in the development of its new Administration of Capital Accumulation Plans program and supporting marketing materials.
In May 2010 I started my own business offering research, writing and editing services to the business community. I incorporated as Sheryl Smolkin & Associates Inc. in June 2011. Some of the ongoing projects I have been involved in include:
- Blogging 3x a week on moneyville.ca at Eye on Benefits for two years.
- Writing features on workplace issues for the Toronto Star.
- A contributing writer and video interviewer for HRCompliance Insider and HRInsider.ca.
- A monthly legal column for smallbizadvisor.ca
- Contributions to Advisor for Business, a quarterly Rogers supplement sponsored by Standard Life
- Weekly blogging and other communications projects for the Saskatchewan Pension Plan
- A suite of bi-monthly publications for a large insurance broker
- Frequent blogs for Tangerine Bank’s blogging site Forward Thinking
- A series of articles for Employee Benefits News, the premier U.S. pension and benefits magazine
LLM. (Distinction) in European Management and Employment Law, University of Leicester
LLB. Osgoode Hall of York University
Ontario Bar Association, Women Lawyers Forum Section
Member at large 2010-to date
Ontario Bar Association, Pension & Benefits Section
Member at large: 2005-2008
Canadian Pension & Benefits Institute, Ontario Council
Member of National Board: 1997/98
International Pension & Employee Benefits Lawyers Association
Journal Editor: 1998-2000
Canada Country Editor: 1998-2005
Conference Committee: 2003 (San Diego); 2005 (Vienna)
International Foundation of Employee Benefit Plans
Association of Canadian Pension Management
Employee Benefit News Canada Editorial Advisor
Canadian Tax Foundation